Crochet amigurumi doll cardigan
In this tutorial I give you two (2) different versions of the same pattern showing you how it can be done with a different size of crochet hook and yarn. I did say that the pattern is adjustable.
The stitches used in this pattern are:
- magic ring
- sl st – slip stitch
- ch – chain stitch
- sc – single crochet stitch
- dec – single crochet decrease stitch (2sc in 1 – back loops only)
- inc – single crochet decrease stitch (2sc in 1 – back loops only)
Materials and supplys needed for the project:
- crochet hook (3mm or 2mm)
- yarn (cotton / acrylic / wool)
To start with I want to explain how the pattern was made. It is not my original pattern because I was looking at how to crochet easy cardigan. I knew I would have to reduce the number of stitches and here are my findings and tips:
- Measure the neck and and the number of crochet chain stitches are the base. You can always adjust to a stitch more or less.
- Normal pattern calls for double crochet stitches but because I have a smaller scale I was using half double crochet stitches.
- The crochet doll cardigan is done in four (4) steps: the neck and shoulders, the front and back, left sleeve, right sleeve.
- All the increases are done in the corner stitches (in the ch1 or ch2 space of the previous row). Each row increases by eight (8) stitches.
- Corner stitches divide the cardigan into front, sleeve and back even more in left front (LF), left sleeve (LS), left back (LB), right back (RB), right sleeve (RS) and right front (RF)
- LF + LS + LB + 2 corner stitches is one half of the base stitches. Same goes for the right side.
- The formula for the stitches is LF + corner + LS + corner + LB + RB + corner + RS + corner + RF
- LF, LS and LB should each be one sixth of all the stitches (with the extra stitches to be on the back)
- example for base of 24 stitches: 3 + 1 + 3 + 1 + 4 + 4 + 1 + 3 + 1 + 3
- example for base of 32 stitches: 4 + 1 + 5 + 1 + 5 + 5 + 1 + 5 + 1 + 4
- The last row of corner stitches before joining the LF to LB is made with 3 solid half double crochet stitches. You may need to adjust the number of rows to go over the shoulders.
- To join the LF with LB and RB with RF you skip the sleeve stitches
- The length of the cardigan is up to you
- The length of the sleeve is up to you
Diagrams for the beginning of the doll cardigan:
Full YouTube video tutorial to make the small doll cardigan with a 2mm crochet hook – base 32:
Full YouTube video tutorial to make the small doll cardigan with a 3mm crochet hook – base 24: